Can I get tax relief on my donation?

In the UK, only higher-rate taxpayers can claim tax relief on their donations to charity. This is because, under the Gift Aid scheme, the charity can reclaim the basic rate tax on donations from H M Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Donors who are higher-rate taxpayers can claim the difference between the higher rate (40%) and the basic rate (22%) on the grossed up donation. Learn more on the H M Revenue and Customs website.

Claiming tax relief is easy. You only need to declare the amounts you donated in a tax year in the appropriate section of your tax return. As a reminder, please print out a copy of the thank you email that we sent you after you donated.

If you've created a Justgiving account, log in to find a full list of all your donations, to help you file your tax return more easily.

Did this help?

If this did not answer your question, you can contact our helpdesk here